I wasn't trying to say that the simple questions are spam, only that if
it took a little more effort to post, some people might check with the
manual and archives first. Posting to the list would always still be an
option if those failed.

Maybe the lists could be divided into: 1. mysql compilation and
installation, 2. other mysql specific questions (table sizes,
corruption recovery, database-level permissions, different table
types), 3. writing applications w/mysql (like integrating w/other apps,
php, odbc, and general questions about writing database apps, and
writing particular sql statements).

But it's not terrible as it is now. I would simply argue that making it
slightly more difficult to post is *not* going to kill off the list.