On 10 Jan 2002, at 18:48, Thibaut Allender wrote:

> maybe they think their filter is OK :
>
>  >>>Your message cannot be posted because it appears to be either spam or
>  >>>simply off topic to our filter. To bypass the filter you must include
>  >>>one of the following words in your message:
>  >>>
>  >>>database,sql,query,table

But the filter apparently doesn't care about word boundaries, so spam
messages that contain "profitable" or "stable" or the address of the
list get through.  At least, that's what seems to be the explanation
for the spam that reaches us.

I'm sure the filter blocks a lot of spam, but it misses a lot too,
and it block real messages.  No other list I'm on has such a filter.
They just prevent posting from addresses that aren't subscribed, and
it seems to work.  Few spammers will go to the trouble of subscribing
to individual lists.

--
Keith C. Ivey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Washington, DC