----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: Porting from MS SQL to MySQL

> Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 03:16:15PM +0200, Markus Lervik wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello all!
> > >
> > > We've requested a database from different companies, and
> > > specifically said we wanted MySQL or PostgreSQL because of the open
> > > source angle and we're a library.
> > >
> > > One company offered MS SQL as the platform and said that they can
> > > later on port it to MySQL. For this they wanted 18 000 euro. Now,
> > > what I want to know is, how easy is it to port a (fairly
> > > complicated) database from MS SQL to MySQL? It can't be work worth
> > > 18 000 euro, now can it?
> >
> > That's a bit strange.
> >
> > If the app is built with MySQL in mind, porting it should be very,
> > very easy.  But if they're going to build the app with MySQL in mind
> > anyway, it doesn't make much sense to do so on a platform other than
> > MySQL, does it?
> >
> > Jeremy
> > --
> > Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance
> > Desk: (408) 349-7878   Fax: (408) 349-5454   Cell: (408) 685-5936
> >
> > MySQL 3.23.41-max: up 15 days, processed 362,696,624 queries (268/sec.
avg)

> I agree. If they are a seriuos company they should build it after the
> customers wishes
> i.e if you want mysql the company should build it with mysql.
>
> For 18,000 euro i could build the system myself:)
>
> My two cents
> /PM\

What about the customer who asks a car company to make the vehicle's tryes
out of velvet?  Would you go off in a huff if they refused and demand they
do it?  There are obviously issues here that we are not privy to; there
*must* be logic behind the choice of SQLServer.  Are they saying that mySQL
isn't upto it?

Porting a DB takes more 'than a couple of hours'.  What about the written
procedures, the security mappings, the back up and recovery procs, the
fallback arrangements, the testing etc.

If you think E18k is a lot then ask for a detailed task plan with effort;
find out what they are asking you to pay for.

The DB was described as 'fairly complicated' whatever that may mean.
Perhaps - and we are all guesing - there are remote data issues, views,
stored procs, java and god knows what else that all needs to be integrated.

Bottom line when you get a quote is find out what they want to do task by
task and then cut it down from there.

Tony