Hello,

We are considering using MySQL in an application involving recording and
processing analog signal inputs from various electric powerplant
instrumentation.  Some (but not a majority) of these signals will take and
need to record and discrete measurements at a frequency from 360 to 1000 or
so times per second.  These measurements will be subject to relatively
simple queries (greater than or less than comparisons and conditional
statements)

As each instrument monitored will be providing a distinct piece of data on a
separate analog channel, and will not by precisely synchronous with output
from other analog channels, our initial idea is to have each analog channel
output to a separate table in the database.

On the largest plants we would expect to monitor, we would have about 42
separate analog channels (tables) taking data at the 360 or more times per
second.  Each of these tables would have two fields - a record number
(index) autoincrementing, and a numeric (probably a smallint in most cases)
which are change, and a couple of static identifier fields, so each record
would be on the order of 100 bytes or less.

Assuming there are no hardware constraints (everything would be on dedicated
servers, with whatever hardware is necessary) are there any known limits on
how many tables/records the MySQL database engine can handle?

Most of this data would be disposed of (reduced to one record per second)
after 24 hours, if no plant alarm conditions have occurred in that 24 hour
period, so permanent storage of huge tables isn't an issue - but at 360 x
86400 seconds per day, there would still be several million records in these
tables - is there any means of estimating the impact this would have on the
number of records and tables which could be successfully written in this
scenario?

Thank you for any help you are able to give, or any resources you can point
us to.

Michael Mitchell,
Principal,
DGRI Systems