On Wednesday 20 February 2002 02:06, Anvar Hussain K.M. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't feel the the table sizet will be a problem. But how would the
> database function with such a huge number of queries per second.
>
> If I read right, you will be taking a maximum (presently) of 42 channals
> each taking taking data at the rate of 360/sec. That would be 42x360 =
> 15120 queries to the database per second. Can MySql withstand this?

My concern wouldn't be so much "can MySQL handle 15120 queries per second"
but can your disk drives handle it... Even with some pretty high-end hardware
thats a tall order. Consider, a top line SCSI drive is 10k RPM, that means
that at the very best the heads get over each sector on the disk 10k times
per second, so that is the absolute theoretical maximum rate at which reads
and writes can be issued to the drive (since drives have to spin around once
per I/O operation no matter what size it is). Given that many operations span
multiple cylinders that is just the optimum rate of the hardware, and doesn't
account for seek time delays, which are orders of magnitude higher than that.
Of course the controller and the OS, and MySQL can all help by coagulating
various operations into lesser numbers of larger operations, but
fundamentally the limit is still there. Disk stripping and to a somewhat
lesser extent, other forms of disk load balancing will also alleviate the
bottleneck, but you are still talking about a very high level of write
frequency. I'd be loathe to claim that any particular system would handle
that load without testing that hypothesis. Its certainly doable, but might
take a bit more hardware than one would think at first blush.