Hi Michael,

On Wed, 2002-02-20 at 13:29, Michael Mitchell wrote:
> We are considering using MySQL in an application involving recording and
> processing analog signal inputs from various electric powerplant
> instrumentation.

Interesting application!
It is always nice to hear where MySQL is being used....

> Assuming there are no hardware constraints (everything would be on dedicated
> servers, with whatever hardware is necessary) are there any known limits on
> how many tables/records the MySQL database engine can handle?

The limits are known, see http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/a/Table_size.html
As you will see, provided you are using a recent version of MySQL
Server, the only possible issues stem from operating system limitations.
So that is something to keep an eye on when building your servers and
choosing an operating system. Linux and Solaris are the most used and
generally give the best performance, but FreeBSD (latest version) is
also popular.

> Most of this data would be disposed of (reduced to one record per second)
> after 24 hours, if no plant alarm conditions have occurred in that 24 hour
> period, so permanent storage of huge tables isn't an issue - but at 360 x
> 86400 seconds per day, there would still be several million records in these
> tables - is there any means of estimating the impact this would have on the
> number of records and tables which could be successfully written in this
> scenario?

This type of application and size should not be a problem, MySQL is used
quite often in high volume logging.
MySQL also offers specific features such as MERGE tables that allow you
to operate on large sets of (historical) data. Older tables may even be
compressed (and archived on CD) while still being read-only accessible,
and be fully combined (by the server) with the latest online data.

Optionally, the system collecting the latest data could be separated
from the system that deals with the older aggregate information.

> Thank you for any help you are able to give, or any resources you can point
> us to.

I hope the above will give you some basic idea of what is possible.

For more detailed questions, you may wish to contact
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Another option could be MySQL training (http://ww.mysql.com/training/);
the courses spend considerable time on optimisation of the operating
system and MySQL Server configuration, database design and queries.

Regards,
Arjen.

--
Get MySQL Training Worldwide, http://www.mysql.com/training/