Sam Iam wrote:

> We have a very high volume site (3 million page views a day) that's run
> on 16 Apache / PHP web servers & 2 MySQL servers. We are using PHP with
> persistent connections. Each MySQL serves 8 web servers & is supposed to
> act as a failover machine for the other group of 8 web servers.
>
> The failover won't work now as if one MySQL goes down the cost of the 8
> web servers switching over is so high the other MySQL locks up.
>
> Each Apache / PHP server takes up hundreds of connections even when
> they're idle so we ran into the Linux connection limit of 1000 & had to
> recompile to get past that.
>
> Our actual MySQL CPU useage is low but the goes when with the connection
> overhead when starting up or failing over a bank of machines.
>
> We get a mysterious MySQL lockup once a week at the same day & time.
>
> Questions :
>
> - Is our configuration of 2 sets of 8 Apache/PHP web servers & 1 MySQL
> servers just not a good idea ?
>
> - Would we better off with FreeBSD ?

I am not sure that would help in this case.

> - Is there anyone doing any similar setups with lots of web servers & a
> few MySQLs ?
>
> - Is there any way to get Apache / PHP to use fewer connections ?

PHP and persistant connections might be causing you problems.  I can't
find it now, but I just read on the MySQL web site that the way PHP
handles persistant connection is not good, and even very bad, for busy
web sites.  It might have been in the server tuning section.  Basically
the problem is PHP has a pool of connections per thread instead of per
server.

Jim
--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .