From: Sam Iam [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 12:06 PM
To: MySQL List
Subject: RH 7.2 connections problems w 16 web servers to 2 MySQL servers

We have a very high volume site (3 million page views a day) that's run
on 16 Apache / PHP web servers & 2 MySQL servers. We are using PHP with
persistent connections. Each MySQL serves 8 web servers & is supposed to
act as a failover machine for the other group of 8 web servers.

The failover won't work now as if one MySQL goes down the cost of the 8
web servers switching over is so high the other MySQL locks up.

Each Apache / PHP server takes up hundreds of connections even when
they're idle so we ran into the Linux connection limit of 1000 & had to
recompile to get past that.

Our actual MySQL CPU useage is low but the goes when with the connection
overhead when starting up or failing over a bank of machines.

We get a mysterious MySQL lockup once a week at the same day & time.

Questions :

- Is our configuration of 2 sets of 8 Apache/PHP web servers & 1 MySQL
servers just not a good idea ?

- Would we better off with FreeBSD ?

- Is there anyone doing any similar setups with lots of web servers & a
few MySQLs ?

- Is there any way to get Apache / PHP to use fewer connections ?

We pay for MySQL support but haven't had much help from them.

- Sam.