Hi!

Sam> We have a very high volume site (3 million page views a day) that's run
Sam> on 16 Apache / PHP web servers & 2 MySQL servers. We are using PHP with
Sam> persistent connections. Each MySQL serves 8 web servers & is supposed to
Sam> act as a failover machine for the other group of 8 web servers.
Sam>
Sam> The failover won't work now as if one MySQL goes down the cost of the 8
Sam> web servers switching over is so high the other MySQL locks up.
Sam>
Sam> Each Apache / PHP server takes up hundreds of connections even when
Sam> they're idle so we ran into the Linux connection limit of 1000 & had to
Sam> recompile to get past that.
Sam>
Sam> Our actual MySQL CPU useage is low but the goes when with the connection
Sam> overhead when starting up or failing over a bank of machines.
Sam>
Sam> We get a mysterious MySQL lockup once a week at the same day & time.

Could you please describe the lookup, exactly what happens ?

What does 'mysqladmin var ext' show when this happens?
What do you have in your log files ?

Sam> Questions :
Sam>
Sam> - Is our configuration of 2 sets of 8 Apache/PHP web servers & 1 MySQL
Sam> servers just not a good idea ?

This should not be a problem.

Sam> - Would we better off with FreeBSD ?

If you are running a CMP machine, then Linux preforms normally better
than FreeBSD.

To be able to give some recommendations we need to know more about
this setup.

Sam> - Is there anyone doing any similar setups with lots of web servers & a
Sam> few MySQLs ?

We have several hundred of paying support customers with this setup.

Sam> - Is there any way to get Apache / PHP to use fewer connections ?

Stevens Rousseys exellent answer should help you with this

Sam> We pay for MySQL support but haven't had much help from them.

I checked our support email archive, but couldn't find anything from
you or your company in it.

Could you please use our supportwizard interface to make a ticket of
this problem so that we can help you with it?
If you have already a ticket, please email me the ticket number so
that we can check this up.

Regards,
Monty

--