On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 11:06:18AM -0800, Sam Iam wrote:

> We have a very high volume site (3 million page views a day) that's
> run on 16 Apache / PHP web servers & 2 MySQL servers. We are using
> PHP with persistent connections. Each MySQL serves 8 web servers &
> is supposed to act as a failover machine for the other group of 8
> web servers.
>
> The failover won't work now as if one MySQL goes down the cost of
> the 8 web servers switching over is so high the other MySQL locks
> up.
>
> Each Apache / PHP server takes up hundreds of connections even when
> they're idle so we ran into the Linux connection limit of 1000 & had
> to recompile to get past that.
>
> Our actual MySQL CPU useage is low but the goes when with the connection
> overhead when starting up or failing over a bank of machines.

Are the Web servers doing write operations on the database, or
read-only?

If they're read-only, pick up a cheap load-balancer (a 3 year old
Alteon will work fine) and load-balance across the 2 MySQL servers.
Then you'll get the best utilization.

Others have addressed the other issues you raised, it seems...

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.47-max: up 27 days, processed 979,505,907 queries (408/sec. avg)