Frankly, it sounds like this guy understands neither XML nor relational
databases.
XML is a general-purpose structured data format.
The term "relational database" also connotes a way of storing data, but is
usually used to refer more to the way the data is organized and efficient
ways for accessing, transforming, and re-organizing that data.
SQL, the standard interface to relational databases, is (and let's not
debate the subtleties of this statement) a programming language for working
with structured data.
One aspect of SQL is that you can use it as a format for storing data in
files, and in this respect I totally agree with your friend: XML is a better
choice in the vast majority of cases. SQL is not designed for this purpose:
it's like passing text around by storing it in string constants in C
language header files. In fact, we largely have the SQL crowd to thank for
XML- it was designed largely as a platform-independent way for databases to
exchange data files with one another because there are a lot of problems
with using SQL for this. As a result, it is *very* easy to write a bridge
for just about any relational database which returns result sets as XML
files instead of the traditional row/column format. Many (or most) databases
support this "out of the box".
Further, because XML is a format for storing structured data and databases
(both relational and object-oriented) are focused on the storage and
manipulation of data, you can write an interface that "looks like" a
database as a method of accessing data in XML files. There are several
systems and standards available for doing this to XML. Of course, while
storing data in XML is very portable and readable, it is orders of magnitude
less efficient in terms of both storage space and access time when compared
with the internal formats of true database systems, so patching database
interfaces onto XML files is a convenience, not a replacement for databases.
If you really cared about efficiency, you'd just load the XML data into a
database like mySQL and then access it in the database instead of emulating
database functionality on the XML file itself.
Finally, in addition to offering a structured data format, XML offers a
unified syntax and approach to designing text-based cross-platform
standards. Over the years a lot of text-based standards have been developed
and it is from their mistakes in terms of awkward or non-standard syntax,
portability, and industry adoption that XML has learned. As a result, many
of these aging standards are being replaced with variants which are based on
the XML syntax. SQL is no exception. Several query-processing XML languages
are being developed and deployed, often designed as means of accessing other
XML data-sources, but with possible long-term goals of replacing legacy data
processing languages like SQL. Regardless of what comes of these languages,
they fundamentally affect only the way you access data in a database; they
do not change the nature of relational databases. As these languages gain
acceptance, I see no substantial barrier to new query interfaces being added
to mySQL- whether they come from the mySQL dev team or from other groups who
simply write bridge code.

And anyone who tells you that any use of joins suggests poor database design
clearly doesn't know *anything* about relational database design.