Matt Wagner explained:

> However, loading an XML file into your MySQL server (via the C API)
> would be a more difficult and tricky task. DTDs would have to be
> defined, some software would have to manage these DTDs so that the data
> in the XML file could be correctly mapped into your database schema, etc
> etc.
>
> You can't just load any old XML file and expect MySQL to know how to
> deal with it. There would have to be a DTD (the file that defines the
> format of your XML file) submitted with the XML file so that things
> could be interpretted correctly.

As an information point, most "XML databases" do require a DTD, although
some companies have tools that automatically generate DTDs from documents. A
company I used to work for builds a product which stores XML data as a
database _without_ DTD. (Yes, this is an expensive product.) If anyone is
interested, here's their URL:

http://www.mediafusion.co.jp

There are some English pages there, as well. I no longer work for them, and
they are not connected with my present employer, so please don't ask me
questions about it.

Joel Rees
Alps Giken Kansai Systems Develoment
Suita, Osaka