On Tuesday 19 March 2002 11:35, you wrote:
> Hi all,
> I too new to php and mysql, trying to get things works. I installed Redhat
> 7.2, Apache, mysql and php.  I copied a sample php script from the internet
> and save it as phptest.php in my cgi-bin. When calling it from my browser,
> I got Format error.  Did I not do it right?  Should I put it in my cgi-bin?
> Could some one send me a working php script and instruct me how to test it?
> Thanks

FWIW I too am very wet behind the ears in Linux, but I installed Mandrake 8.1
and have MySql, PHP4, and Apache server all talking to each other without
any configuring by me. Other than what I had to select during installation of
course. If you choose to go that way make sure you select  the 'expert'
install option. You do not have to be very expert to use it. And BTW I also
am able to use Postgres too as I want to learn about both of these excellent
products.
Good luck
Bob
<big snip>