Sounds like php isn't compiled correctly.  Make sure the module for php
is installed in apache

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Cheng [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 1:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: mysql/php on linux

Hello all,

Thanks for the help. I move my php test script to \var\www\html When I
call
the php script from my browser, It shows me:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

and not result of the phpinfo() function.  When I run "php phpinfo()" at
the
shell command, it out puts the html result. What is problem, my Apache
not
understand the php script?  Thanks

>From: Jim Philips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Andy Cheng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: RE: mysql/php on linux
>Date: 18 Mar 2002 21:59:09 -0500
>
>You should not save php scripts in cgi-bin. They need to be in your
>document root directory or a sub-directory of the rooot directory. In
my
>case, document root is:
>
>/usr/local/apache/htdocs
>
>If you need a test script, you can just run this:
>
><?
>
>phpinfo();
>
>?>
>
>If it is in the document root directory, just point your browser to:
>
>localhost/(script name)
>
>If everything is installed right, you will get a page with information
>about your php install.
>

>On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 20:35, Andy Cheng wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I too new to php and mysql, trying to get things works. I installed
>Redhat
> > 7.2, Apache, mysql and php.  I copied a sample php script from the
>internet
> > and save it as phptest.php in my cgi-bin. When calling it from my
>browser, I
> > got Format error.  Did I not do it right?  Should I put it in my
>cgi-bin?
> > Could some one send me a working php script and instruct me how to
test
>it?
> > Thanks
> >

> > >From: "Todd Williamsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >To: "'Andrew Hazen'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >Subject: RE: mysql/php on linux
> > >Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:50:28 -0600
> > >
> > >PHP
> > >
> > >http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.linux.php
> > >
> > >mySQL
> > >
> > >http://www.mysql.com/doc/L/i/Linux.html
> > >
> > >I never had any problems with mysql and PHP talking to each other
on
> > >Linux, and I am very wet behind the ears with Linux.  Maybe you can

>give
> > >us an error messages you are receiving, and that will give all of
us a
> > >better understanding of what is going on.  If it?s the OS or Glib
> > >libraries, you will get the same error over and over again.
> > >
> > >I don't use RedHat, so I don't know what they have in it, I use
Caldera