Not true. Many people can be connected to an MDB file at the same
time if the MDB file is on a network drive. (I've done this.) But
Access only handles up to 10-15 simultaneous connections well.
Then you have the record locking problem too. What if someone
pulls up a record then forgets to "let go" of it? No one else can
update that record (though they could view it).

> have) My thought
> was if we got Access and MySQL talking, I could create
> a web based

You don't need to make it web-based.

> admin that would allow many folks to query and update
> the MySQL db
> and if MySQL and Access are talking then the data in
> the Access
> db would get updated as well. Really just trying to
> create a remote
> way to access and update from the Access db.
>
> Sorry for the long story but is this something you've
> done or is
> it not at all possible?

Yes this is possible. If you are going to have more than 10
simultaneous connections then I would go with Mysql backend with
an Access frontend (which requires ODBC). Otherwise I would just
plop an MDB file on a network drive. Everyone would be able to
see everyone else's changes in either case. You don't need to be
copying data between an Access MDB and a mysql db.

Does that make sense? It's easier than you think.
Chuck

p.s. We are working on the same thing here: an Access front end
for the pretty, user-friendly screens with a mysql backend db for
performance. BUT, myODBC allows Access front ends to come in from
the internet also, not just from another client on the company
network.

So, once a client is set up with Access and MyODBC, they can go
over the internet and update our mysql database.