Now I've read all the posts about database backup..

I'm currently building a www-site (an internet bookstore which is going to
be fairly large, one of the biggest in my country. This has been a pet
project for me for the last 8 months, otherwise I would have to watch the
company board waste loads of cash on another bad solution, like the present
one)
Of all things.... I'm trying out the MySQL 4.0.1-alpha release, and have
been running it without problems for 40 days now, under pretty heavy load. I
just wish I could get my hands on some 'patched' fulltext search functions
;)

But I must find an easy way to backup the data..

And this is how I was thinking about doing it.
I've got one server running as replication-slave (this server will be able
to 'step-in' for the main server if it should fail. Main server is running
raid with IDE disks)
If I stop the slave process for a short time, I could either write the
important tables to CD or a tape-streamer. I don't see any problems with
this......?
I don't think e-mailing the compressed backup would work... since some of
the tables are pretty large.
But I hate tape-streamers... My experience with tapes is pretty bad. Been
thinking about some removable HD's etc... They are not that expensive
anymore. Even an Apple IPod (10gb version) could be used to take backups of
the site (with the firewire support and support for windows it would be easy
to set ut and very fast)
-I'm really open for suggestions here.

Currently the database files are around 3gb, but will probably grow to
around 4gb in a short time (transfering costumer info etc. from the old
system) and then grow continuously the rest of it's life.

Regards
Erlend Stromsvik