Hi kim,

Try using

load data local infile '~/Documents/web export.txt' into table stories
fields terminated by ',' enclosed by '"' escaped by '\\' lines
terminated by '\r'
(StoryName,Writer,Heading,Caption,Body,ListDate,Section,Publication);

Also, if this is a windows text file you should be using \r\n not \r,
if this is a unix text file you should simply use \n.

Good luck.

Kim Kohen wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm having a problem when using Load Data where the single and double quotes
> in the text file are getting nuked. It appears that the escape character is
> not being respected but I'm not sure why.  It is also knocking out
> characters near the quotes.
>
> The command I'm running is:
>
> load data local infile "~/Documents/web export.txt" into table stories
> fields terminated by "," enclosed by "\"" lines terminated by "\r"
> (StoryName,Writer,Heading,Caption,Body,ListDate,Section,Publication);
>
> A sample of the original text file is:
>
> "kimtest","Kim","","","this is kimıs test storiesı  to see how we cın
> accommodate single ŒquotesıThere are a ³couple² of ³double² quotes here
> to. And ³here are some Œsingleı quotes thatıre enclosed in
> doubles²","2002-4-4","",""
>
> The result from a command line query is:
>
> | 253 | this is kim? test stories? to see how we c? accommodate single
> ?uotes?
>
> There are a ?ouple?of ?ouble?quotes here to. And ?ere are some ?ingle?quotes
> that?e enclosed in doubles?
>
> The original file (an csv export from Filemaker Pro) has curly quotes but I
> have also tried after converting the file to plain text with the same
> results.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers and thanks
>
> kim

Colin Faber
(303) 859-1491