I had problems with unions that result in large queries too.
I found that MySQL 4 was using Heap tables for Unions.
One can Increase the Heap Table size to help, but
What about alot of conncurrent users running unions?
This could eat up alot of memory.
Is there a switch to stop unions from using heap tables?

        mike