I guess it's a question of semantics, but I would consider a stored
procedure, in general, any series of commands to be executed 'in' the
database engine.  Postgres, for instance, allows stored procedures to be
written in a number of different languages.  Commercial engines have similar
capabilities.  I would think that a stored procedure would not be required
to do much of anything with SQL.  SQL would simply be a way of invoking it.

Cheers.
-Dana

Notice:  The area code for the Wal-Mart Bentonville General
Office in the US has changed from 501 to 479.  Please make
sure that you are dialing 479 when making calls to any
General Office location.

and intended solely for the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email
in error destroy it immediately.