From: Dana Diederich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:40:45 -0500

   Perhaps the InnoDB/MyISAM gurus can comment on this.  I want to switch from
   MyISAM to Innodb, because we have database tables that have many updates,
   inserts, deletes and selects going on at the same time.  My belief is that
   InnoDB's better locking semantics (as compared to MyISAM) will give me
   better overall performance in such a high contention environment.  For
   example, each update won't block other updates or selects or deletes.

   Is this a fair assumption?  Honestly, the 'other' features of InnoDB
   (transactions and reliability) aren't as important to me as overall speed.

Setup a test system and try it.  I saw the benchmarks indicating a
speed improvement with innoDB and tried it within my system.  My
longest query program took two times longer, not exactly the desired
result [I used the stock settings, perhaps tweaking might have
improved that result].  However, I'm doing SELECT primarily, and the
results are not surprising apparently.  Try it, YMMV of course.