Here's an update on this issue: The problem is when copy/pasting
Japanese characters into MySQL, certain characters are being corrupted.
I've ruled out Word as the problem.
I've ruled out my content tool as the problem.
I've ruled out the ASP display page as the problem.

I've configured my Regional & Language settings to Japanese so I can see
the Japanese text in both the DOS Prompt and notepad.  I received
Japanese text which had been typed directly into notepad (saved as ANSI,
Unicode, UTF-8, or UTF-8 big endian - doesn't make a difference). I
inserted the text directly into the database by copy/pasting into the
DOS Prompt. A select statement will then display the data I just
entered....and the characters are broken! Here is a screen shot:
http://commworks01.barklouder.com/japan/press/370.jpg

For details see
http://commworks01.barklouder.com/japan/press/broken_chars.asp (You'll
notice that there aren't any backslashes present.)

Several people have suggested that I encode at UTF-8, then prior to
inserting the characters to the database, I should convert each
character to its HTML Entity in the form "&#xxxx;" where xxxx is the
hexadecimal representation of the UTF-16 value for the character.  My
Question: Does anyone know of a table that maps Japanese characters to
such HTML entities? (or know of a converter for that matter?)

Lastly, I am convinced that this is a problem with MySQL. I am somwhat
of a newbie - should I encourage my client to buy a support package from
MySQL AB?

Sincerely,
Dawn Friedland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]