I'll agree to this somewhat:

(1) always bind your variables. whatever code you are using to do your
inserts, the fewer prepared statements you can make the better.

for example:
insert into TableName (col1, col2, col2, col4) values (?,?,?,?)

then, once you have a prepared statment, do a loop and insert.

(2) drop all indexes on your table(s). rebuild them after loading (this
alone can give orders of magnitude improvement)

(3) commit every 10,000 records or so.

I can load several million rows into our InnoDB tables in a few minutes.

good luck

jeff

Richard Clarke wrote:

> Jeroen,
>
> Two things are likely to make this umpteen times faster.
>
> a) Commit the insert transaction every.. say 1000 records?
> b) use mysql's extended insert statement,
>         insert into mytable values
> (row1_field1,row1_field2),(row2_field1,row2_field2),(?,?),(?,?) etc etc
>
> Ric.

Jeff Mathis, Ph.D.                      505-995-1434
The Prediction Company                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
525 Camino de los Marquez, Ste 6        http://www.predict.com
Santa Fe, NM 87505