Jeff Mathis wrote:
forgive me.

i was initially using the perl DBI methods to load. I am not intimately
familiar with the inner workings of DBI, but obviously it must be doing
something if you say mysql does not support binding variables
(i am using 4.0.4). This is significantly faster than creating a new
prepared statement for every insert.

I'm now using JDBC, and havne't explored this yet. I'm coming from the
Oracle camp, and have only been using mysql for less than a month. so
far, i find it very snappy. I do miss the ability to have stored
procedures, triggers and views however.

jeff Dan Nelson wrote:
[snip]
Note that mysql does not support bind variables.  If you think you're
using them, whatever API you are using is filling them in before
sending the statement to mysql.  Bind variables do solve quoting
problems, though, so if you use them, know why you're using them :)

--
       Dan Nelson
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The quoting problem is a valid point, and in fact I always prescribe it as dynamic SQL is the root of many an exploit in database applications, especially web-based ones.

-Mark

--
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/?ref=mmma

/ |/ /_ __/ __/ __ \/ / Mark Matthews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
/ /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__ MySQL AB, Full-Time Developer - JDBC/Java
/_/ /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/ Flossmoor (Chicago), IL USA
<___/ www.mysql.com