Daniel,
Monday, October 28, 2002, 1:06:10 AM, you wrote:

DLS> In my mysql.db file, I have some lines like:

DLS> %.private | somedb | someuser  | Y | Y | Y | Y | Y | Y | N | Y  | Y  | Y

DLS> So, I have an internal domain called private, those hosts are in an
DLS> internal DNS, and can be reverse resolved.  The only way I can manage to
DLS> connect to "somedb" as "someuser" is to put the fully qualified hostnames
DLS> in the /etc/hosts file, eg.:

DLS> 1.2.3.4 somehost.private

DLS> For some reason mysql is not "seeing" the DNS resolution.  Yes, DNS is
DLS> really working as verified with nslookup for both forward and reverse
DLS> records.

DLS> The version of mysqld I am running is:

DLS> /usr/libexec/mysqld  Ver 3.23.36 for redhat-linux-gnu on i386

DLS> Can someone provide some insight or suggestions?

Sure, there are some known problems with resolver on Linux.

First, you should not compile MySQL by yourself. Broken resolver is
one of the most common situations happening when MySQL is
wrong-compiled.

Second, there were a log of fixes to resolver part of MySQL since .36.

So you have to upgrade your server to MySQL 3.23.53 with MySQL
official binary release found at http://www.mysql.com/

That will help.

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
       <___/   www.mysql.com