John Meyer wrote:

Hi, I've got a client that I'm trying to convince to store the file path in
the database rather than the file itself into the database. Is there any
statistical data to show how much of a hit you take doing it as a BLOB vs. a
filepath?

Assuming MySQL is equally efficient to your filesystem at storing the file, and your filesystem is as efficient as MySQL at finding the file (use ReiserFS), then the issue comes down to maintainability and usability. In most cases, the files I want to store are easily accessible (NFS / SFTP / local), so machine name and/or filepath is sufficient for me and I don't have to maintain that data in the MySQL table space. On top of that, you don't have to worry about hitting maximum table sizes (in MyISAM tables) as quickly either and your files are still easily accessible from non-MySQL aware programs.

--
Michael T. Babcock
C.T.O., FibreSpeed Ltd.