Grant,

> I need help. I am building a database for a small college that wants to be
> able to update their program  information for each department through an
> web/gui program.
>
> I've decided to use, MYSQL, Apache, PHP and FreeBSD as the OS. (I built my
> web page this way)
>
> Here's my QUESTION! Because some of the program information is large I
don't
> want to query the data base everytime do I?

=Most use LAMPs (Linux (sorry of that is not quite kosher for FreeBSD),
Apache, MySQL, and PHP) to create DYNAMIC web sites. As such, every query
from a user results in a back-end database interaction. Amazon, Yahoo,
Google, etc have large back-end databases and thousands of (concurrent)
users and every 'click' requires a database interaction.

=In your case, the transaction rate will be significantly lower, even if the
volume-transmitted per click may be "large".

=Database retrieval and PHP formatting speeds are insignificant when
compared to Internet transmission speeds - and even bulk text/page downloads
over a campus network.

> This would take up to many resources. So I've decided to write a program
> that will take the information from the MYSQL tables and build static
pages
> every night and remove the old ones through a cron job?
>  How does this sound?

=caching seems like a reasonable approach, where possible. Remember though,
there is a lot of effort involved in managing that overnight process!

=Can I assume that the information doesn't change frequently?

=You talk in terms of "large". Can you quantify this?

=Instead of caching, could you have your authors develop the basic program
description pages as static HTML? Then your database has no need to store
page-data, but only a filename: when the end-user requests information, the
database chooses a file, and PHP instructs Apache to display same. Much the
same as you have described above, but with fewer management headaches!?

=You seem to be saying that there will only be one or two types of query
that the system will face. Correct? If I'm off-base, then perhaps more
description might help attune...

> Is this standard practice, if not what would be a better way of doing
this.
> This college has about 1600 students?
>
> Thanks in advance, I plan on doing alot of planning and really apreciate
> reading this email.

=Concur. It is cheaper to make planning changes/mistakes at this level, than
to get an ugly surprise in the coding/testing phases!

Regards,
=dn