On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 10:38:56PM -0800, Grant Cooper wrote:
> Here's my QUESTION! Because some of the program information is large I don't
> want to query the data base everytime do I?

Profile it first.  You may find MySQL handles the load just fine on the hardware
you're using and you don't need any such fancy tricks.  You may also find that
simply adding Expires: headers to your output on the cacheable pages means that
you get fewer queries (and have the same effect as static pages).

FWIW, I use ETag's as well which I make an MD5 hash of the latest TIMESTAMP in
the tables being queried.  This allows the browser to check if the ETag has
changed for a page when requesting it, have the server do a very simple query to
find out if it should rebuild the page or not, and let the browser use the cached
page if not.
--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.     (Hosting, Security, Consultation, Database, etc)