* Will Standley
> 1 - When I create a new db using MySQL...
>
> Can I tell MySQL where (what path & directory) to store the new db files?

No, not at runtime. This can only be changed while the server is not
running. Edit the 'datadir' or 'basedir' parameter in the my.cnf file, or
use a startup option for the mysqld process.

> And...
>
> 2 - To back up the db... can I just copy the files in that directory to a
> backup device like a CD or floppy?

Yes, if you use MyIsam tables, and if you shutdown (or lock) the database
while you perform the backup.

--
Roger