Yes. I can not connect remotely using ANY Microsoft Windows
clients/tools EXCEPT "Mascon" -- which for some strange reason works
just fine. Yet EVERY OTHER WINDOWS mySQL PROGRAM fails with the same
error message (10061 Can't connect...)

I'm 98% positive my 'permissions' are correct in the mysql database
tables:

mysql> select * from host;
+-------------+----+-------------+-------------+-------------+----------
---+-------------+-----------+------------+-----------------+-----------
-+------------+
| Host        | Db | Select_priv | Insert_priv | Update_priv |
Delete_priv | Create_priv | Drop_priv | Grant_priv | References_priv |
Index_priv | Alter_priv |
+-------------+----+-------------+-------------+-------------+----------
---+-------------+-----------+------------+-----------------+-----------
-+------------+
| localhost   | %  | Y           | Y           | Y           | Y
| Y           | Y         | N          | Y               | Y          |
Y          |
| 192.168.0.% | %  | Y           | Y           | Y           | Y
| Y           | Y         | Y          | Y               | Y          |
Y          |
| %daevid%    | %  | Y           | Y           | Y           | Y
| N           | Y         | Y          | Y               | Y          |
Y          |
| 192.168.1.% | %  | Y           | Y           | Y           | Y
| Y           | Y         | Y          | Y               | Y          |
Y          |
+-------------+----+-------------+-------------+-------------+----------
---+-------------+-----------+------------+-----------------+-----------
-+------------+

Mysql> select * from user;
+-------------+----------+------------------+-------------+-------------
+-------------+-------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+---
------------+--------------+-----------+------------+-----------------+-
-----------+------------+
| Host        | User     | password         | Select_priv | Insert_priv
| Update_priv | Delete_priv | Create_priv | Drop_priv | Reload_priv |
Shutdown_priv | Process_priv | File_priv | Grant_priv | References_priv
| Index_priv | Alter_priv |
+-------------+----------+------------------+-------------+-------------
+-------------+-------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+---
------------+--------------+-----------+------------+-----------------+-
-----------+------------+
| localhost   | root     |                  | Y           | Y
| Y           | Y           | Y           | Y         | Y           | Y
| Y            | Y         | Y          | Y               | Y          |
Y          |
| localhost   |          |                  | N           | N
| N           | N           | N           | N         | N           | N
| N            | N         | N          | N               | N          |
N          |
| 192.168.0.% | root     | 6463872834e37889 | Y           | Y
| Y           | Y           | Y           | Y         | Y           | Y
| Y            | Y         | Y          | Y               | Y          |
Y          |
| 192.168.1.% | root     | 6463872834e37889 | Y           | Y
| Y           | Y           | Y           | Y         | Y           | Y
| Y            | Y         | Y          | Y               | Y          |
Y          |
+-------------+----------+------------------+-------------+-------------
+-------------+-------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+---
------------+--------------+-----------+------------+-----------------+-
-----------+------------+

Again, I suspect it has to do with RH8, as this all worked fine before
the upgrade...

[root@daevid root]# rpm -qa | grep "glib" -i
glibc-2.2.93-5
glib2-2.0.6-2
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-7.20
glibc-utils-2.2.93-5
glib-devel-1.2.10-8
glib2-devel-2.0.6-2
glibc-common-2.2.93-5
glib-1.2.10-8
glibc-devel-2.2.93-5

[root@daevid root]# rpm -qa | grep "mysql" -i
MySQL-client-3.23.53a-1
MySQL-python-0.9.1-4
libdbi-dbd-mysql-0.6.5-2
MySQL-bench-3.23.53a-1
MySQL-3.23.53a-1
mysql-server-3.23.52-3
MySQL-devel-3.23.53a-1
MySQL-Max-3.23.53a-1
perl-DBD-MySQL-2.1017-3
qt-MySQL-3.0.5-17
mod_auth_mysql-1.11-1
MySQL-shared-3.23.53a-1
php-mysql-4.1.2-7.3.4

I don't think the "mysql-server-3.23.52-3" is really there though b/c I
can't "rpm -e" it.

[root@daevid root]# uname -r
2.4.18-14