You can place the actual database files inside your user's home
directory, and sym-link to them from the MySQL's data folder.  That way
they will contribute to the user's whole quota and you don't end up with
one quota for DB and another for everything else.

The drawback, of course, is that you have to limit it to one user per
database (but each user could have more than one database).

Dean Harding.