Dear Daevid,

> I don't have mySQL installed on the XP box, so I can't run mysqladmin.

I knew your answer to this before I pressed the send button ;-)

Do install MySQL on your Win XP box. The installation procedure will not
start the MySQL server, so there's nothing to worry about. If you leave the
defaults as is, this will install MySQL in C:\mysql.

Open a DOS box and cd to C:\mysql\bin. Here, you will find all the *.exe
files. Try mysqladmin ping again. If this doesn't work with host name and/or
ip address, there's probably some tricky network problem involved (for which
Mascon might have an even trickier solution, e.g. some registry entry).

HTH!
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  CEO / Geschäftsleitung iConnect GmbH <http://iConnect.de>