The way I've always done it, and I wonder if I am not doing lots of things
wrong:

i have 2 tables, one person and one address
for a one to one relation, the way I do it:
table person
personID primary int 11 autoincrement
addressID int 11

table address
addressID primary int 11 autoincrement

if it's a one ot many relationship i do it like that:
table person
personID primary int 11 autoincrement

table car
addressID primary int 11 autoincrement
personID int 11

NOW, reading this great mailinglist, I've come to believe the right way to
do it that works in both relationship types :
table person
personID primary int 11 autoincrement

table car
carID primary int 11 autoincrement

table relation_person_car
relation_personID primary int 11 autoincrement
personID int 11
carID int 11

I understand it's closer to the real way to represent relations in database
design, but I wonder what else can be done with mySQL to simplify the work.
for example, should I make something special with the type of fields
personID and addressID in table relation_person_car ?
another example, it would be easier to name all the primary key fields 'id'
instead of '*nameOfTheTable*ID', but what would be the backdraws when coding
queries and server scripts ?

Any critics on my beginner way of handling relations is most welcome.

Cheers,
Damien COLA

Cordialement,

__ Alliax         ~CV : http://LingoParadise.com/cv.php