This appears to have been largely fixed in Linux, too, if you use a recent
kernel and glibc.  I recently tried creating a 3 gigabyte file on one of my
ext2fs partitions and it worked fine.  I'm not sure what the new limit is.
The system is RedHat 7.0 with all the current bugfix updates (including
glibc 2.2.4), plus a custom-compiled 2.4.17 kernel.

This has been discussed a lot on the samba mailing list.  It seems to still
be a problem with some distributions and not with others, and no one's quite
sure what the deciding factor is.  It's easy enough to test by dd'ing a few
billion bytes from /dev/zero into a file, though.