From: Jeremy Zawodny [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 3:28 PM
To: JamesD
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can MySQL handle 120 million records?

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 08:05:46PM -0800, JamesD wrote:

> i like mySQL, but it has a long way to go to gain the level of
> 'confidence' that oracle, db2 or mssql or sybase have when it comes
> to frontline mission critical stuff.

Can you explain why?

> I think it will in time...thats why i stick with it. besides,
> confidence is often just a synonym for 'knowledge'

Really?  I tend to see it more like confidence builds with experience
(and therefore time).  You don't need to know a lot about to become
confident in its operation.  Many of us don't *really* understand how
gravity works, but we're quite confident in it.

> select count(*) from x (0.00 seconds)
>
> if you dig into the source, you will probably find this common
> select is built in and running all the time,
>
> and we are all just getting a pre-filled variable
> returned from the method " select count(*) from (x) "

Please find it.  I'll bet you money that it's not.

> I hope someone can prove me wrong...

I think the burden of proof is on you.

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 3.23.51: up 5 days, processed 219,909,773 queries (441/sec. avg)