Thanks Dean.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dean Harding [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2002 12:46 AM
To: 'JamesD'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Can MySQL handle 120 million records?

It's just that the number of rows in a table is stored directly in the
.MYD file (I believe) so a query like "select count(*) from table" will
just return that value, rather than counting all the rows.  It's not
that the functions are "built-in", rather they're *optimized* - a
totally different thing.

Dean.