Hi,

I would like to know how mySQL manage the identity (auto increment counter)
in a replication environment when
2 servers are both master on the same database.

Here's a sample of my problem.

We have 2 servers running mySQL. Server1 replicate data on server2 and
server2 replicate data on server1 for the
same table on the same database. Both server are connected together.
At this point, there's no problem, the two server shares the same identity
and the key grows up with new record.

But, now, suppose that the connection between server1 and server2 is broken
(Two different site for example and the link
between site goes down) during one hour or one day.
On each server, people insert records because both of them continious to see
the server assigned to their site.
When the link go up again, and the server will begin to replicate data.How
the identity created will be reassigned or affected ?

Does both mySQL server had assigned the same key ?
Is there some solution to manage this problem ?
What are you thinking of this problem ?
What are you thinking of Britney Spears ? ;o)

This solution is going to be implemented in high critical environmment, with
100 percent uptime needed, that's why we want to be sure we use the better
solution.

Thanks for your answer.