Frank,

> >I need to copy a MySql Production database to QA. What is the best
method of
> >doing this? Do I need to write SQL queries or is there another
quicker method?

There are alot of possibilities to accomplish this fast.

> >  From the command line?

shell> mysqldump -uusername -ppassword your_database > export_file.sql

Or, if you want to copy / backup all your databases:

shell> mysqldump -uusername -ppassword > export_file.sql --all-databases

> >From, within phpMyAdmin?

First make sure you have a recent copy of phpMyAdmin. 2.3.3pl1 is the
most recent (http://phpmyadmin.net). You can only backup one database at
a time with this tool, not all of them like with --all-databases.

1. In the left frame, choose the database you want to backup / copy.
2. Click the EXPORT tab in the right frame.
3. Choose the tables in the database you want to backup.
4. Choose "Structure and data".
5. Check "Enclose table and field names with backquotes" if your table
or column names might contain special characters (like ä, ö, ü).
6. Check "Save as file".
7. Click "Go".

Regards,
--