Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 18:37:33 -0800
To: "Stefan Hinz, iConnect \(Berlin\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Frank Peavy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Copying MySql database to others

Thanks everyone for your input.

Stefan,
> >From, within phpMyAdmin?
<snip>
1. In the left frame, choose the database you want to backup / copy.
2. Click the EXPORT tab in the right frame.
3. Choose the tables in the database you want to backup.
4. Choose "Structure and data".
5. Check "Enclose table and field names with backquotes" if your table
or column names might contain special characters (like ä, ö, ü).
6. Check "Save as file".
7. Click "Go".
Since I have limited command line access (ISP hosted database), I will probably have to use phpMyAdmin.

Part of my logic was to copy my MySql database to another MySql database, so that I can use the second database for QA purposes.

When I perform the Export as above, does that make a copy in another database or is that to an external file? If it is an external file, would I have to Import it to another database that I create?