>From you example, not quite sure what you are trying to do (I could if, for
example generic tree was 0199, and 01 was tree and last two characters were
color or something like that)

At any rate, you can use string functions to pull data from portions of
fields to build whatever you want to search on.

refer to http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/String_functions.html

Ken Hylton
Programmer Analyst IV
LEC Systems & Programming

Billing Concepts, Inc.
7411 John Smith Drive
San Antonio, Texas 78229-4898
(210) 949-7261

-----Original Message-----
From: Leonardo Javier Belen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 2:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: help with query

Hi all!
    I would like to build a query that I can use to search hierichally from
an char(4) id composed as followed
2positions for the class of plant (for example)
and 2 positions for the type of flower (for example)

if someone give me the id that means red rose tree, and I know there is
another clasifications of tree and another colors for the rose, does anyone
knows how to retrieve them.

0100 - Rose tree
0101 - pink rose tree
0102 - red rose tree