Actually, I think you are not quite right in all respects. but feel free to correct me
if I am wrong....

Somebody, or some entity still needs to hold the copyright of a product.

How that entity chooses to sell or distribute that product is up to them.

In this case MySQL AB is the copyright holder.

They have a fast, highly reliable product which meets the need of the majority of
web-developers (and other developers).

It is not as feature rich as, say Interbase or MSSQL Server.

(I would love triggers and stored procedures, so that I can store business logic in
the RDBMS)

This is my interpretation (after clarification from MySQL, and www.mysql.com ), of
MySQL's licence:

If a product is inherrently tied to using MySQL, i.e. without MySQL it would need
re-development, alteration, or would not work. And you are profiting from the sale of
that product, then MySQL insist a license should be purchased.

If the product is DB Agnostic or if the product is open-source and is distributed
under GPL, then it doesn't need a license.

Basically, if you profit from MySQL's work, they want a very modest fee for there
effort (much cheaper then other traditionally commercially available RDBMS.)

HTH,

Richad