phpMyAdmin can admin. database that is not on the same machine. The only
requirement is that machine can access the MySQL database to be admin. Which
usually means that a user name and a ip address on the MySQL user table.

However, I don't think that it is appropiate to have a notebook to install a
phpMyAdmin and admin. a remote database. First of all, the notebook should
have a web server installed. Secondly, there may be a security loop holes to
have a remote user for a MySQL database. Esp., if the notebook used for the
programmer on the move.

He may just access the phpMyAdmin on the host by IE. If further security is
required (esp. on the move), you may consider to have SSL installed. You may
also consider some secure shell such as ssh which can also provide secure
connection.

Regards,

--
Yours,