> Or is there another product that can manage a MySQL database from either
> a Windows or Linux laptop/desktop.

I'm sure there are many products that do this.  My favorite is mysqltool.

We switched from phpmyadmin to mysqltool a couple years ago when mysqltool
offered features not available in phpmyadmin.  I'm not sure what the
current state of phpmyadmin is (it may or may not offer the features found
in mysqltool).

mysqltool is a perl based product and is available at
http://www.dajoba.com/projects/mysqltool/

Regards,
Bill

--
"If Verisign is the 'Value of Trust',
  then trust ain't worth much any more." - me

Spam Trap Mail Key: ASK and you shall receive