Lai Liu-yuan wrote:

> Well, this may be off topic.
>
> In my case, I store tens of thousands of images, gradually growing. All of them are
> quite small, most around 30*30 gray scale. Would it still be faster to store them on
> disk?

In most cases yes. We have over 3.5 million images stored and mananaging
them from
the database side would be almost impossible. There are many benifits to
using the file system instead of the database.

1. You can archive the images on cd/dvd/tape as new ones are
received/added.
2. Try converting or moving databases with 200GB of blob files.
3. The larger the database, the longer it takes to retreive information.
4. Data from a database is retreived one row at a time so you have to
wait for each image. Storing the path in the database allows you to
fetch a row, spawn a child process to fetch the image, and continue to
fetch rows from the database while the child processes handle getting
the images.
5. Mysql will not cache the images. The OS however will cache disk
reads.
6. The database has a finite set of resources. You can add many file
servers, each specific to what "type" of image you're pulling. We store
stuff by date so we know to pull 1998 images from fileserver a and 1999
images from fileserver b, etc... The OS on each fileserver can then
cache what is requested most often.

Good luck!
walt