hey all.. new to the list.

Just my 5 cents...
I think it's better to store images in the database, sure you loose a bit
in performance, but it's easier to code.

The way i've done it before is always a separate render.php (or what ever)
that compares the users rights to view that image, get's the blob from the
database, sets right content-type for the page and then renders the
binary data.

That way... you can control frames/design (direct links to images can be
avoided) und so weiter...

//lars