Not an issue since you don't need to edit the htaccess file for every file. You set it for the whole directory.

The only reason for preventing ppl to access files would be theft of bandwith. If you worry about ppl being able to get the images then you shouldn't publish them at all. You can't protect them from being dumped with printscreen.

Another solution would be to change the the path at random and copy all images to the new location while you copy a special image on the old location. You have no idea how fast ppl will stop using your pics if they have the text "stolen from ..." where you put your domainname on the dots.
This would require you to have the path to the file in your code.

HTTP REFERER is not always set correctly so I wouldn't trust that to much.

B.