sure you can. And i don't mind you disagreeing with me either =)

Although, if the solution/site is meant to be used by other than people
who know something about the webserver i don't think it's a good solution.

I can imagine writing something that reads the htaccess-file and edits
it... but i don't like the possible securtyissues with that.
Besides... if you render a page with a selectbox from mysqltables and
another with images and let the user match them together, it's idiotproof
=)

If you have a php(or whatever)-file wich sole purpouse is to
check users rights and render images it can also always check if you have
the right cookies. If you've been to the right previous page to
see that picture, if not redirect to '/'; Do you get my point?

I still believe that the blob i my saviour... (despite the obvious
loss of performance)