Kira,

Let's take it a step at a time.

First, make sure that your MySQL is running. Have you started the server
with \mysql\bin\winmysqldmin.exe? Look for a traffic light in your system
tray, and the green light showing.

Now, try to connect using the \mysql\bin\mysql.exe command line tool. By
default, mysql is wide open, so you should be able to connect like this. Try
these commands and let us know if any of them give you trouble. If these
commands all work, we've verified that your MySQL is installed correctly and
that you can log in without a username or password, and that you can create
tables, insert, select, and drop.

-ms

C:\mysql\bin> mysql
Your MySQL connection id is 23871 to server version: 4.0.12-max-nt

mysql> status
--------------
mysql  Ver 12.18 Distrib 4.0.12, for Win95/Win98 (i32)

Connection id:          23871
Current database:
Current user:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SSL:                    Not in use
Server version:         4.0.12-max-nt
Protocol version:       10
Connection:             localhost via TCP/IP
Client characterset:    latin1
Server characterset:    latin1
TCP port:               3306
Uptime:                 2 days 22 hours 11 min 32 sec

Threads: 1  Questions: 20  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 8  Flush tables: 1  Open
tables: 0  Queries per second avg: 0.000
--------------

mysql> use test
Database changed
mysql> create table t (a char(10));