# [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2003-06-10 14:38:49 +0300:
> I am fairly new to databases, but my boss has assigned me to choose a
> database system for our company. I know of Oracle databases but they are
> way too expensive so it's not an option for us. I did some research and
> came up with two free database systems that seemed to be more popular -
> MySQL and PostgreSQL. The problem is that I can't make a decision
> between the two because I have practically no experience. Some say MySQL
> is easier to use, some say PostgreSQL is more robust etc. Most articles
> seem to celarly favor one or the other. It is very hard to find an
> objective comparison. And I have to explain my boss why I chose either
> one. So perhaps some of you can give me some reasons why to choose MySQL
> over Postgre.

    I won't recommend one or the other, but here's why I've been using
    MySQL:

    I started "programming" with ~4 years ago, when all I knew was
    MS Windows. MySQL ran on NT with no fuss, while you needed cygwin
    and whatnot to run PostgreSQL. I remember I couldn't manage to
    install it successfully. MySQL was a snap.

    At that time, large portions of the PostgreSQL manual said just
    "this section needs to be written, are you volunteering?". For a
    database newbie, this is deadly.

    PostgreSQL seemed to require more administration than MySQL (driving
    a space shuttle requires more knowledge than driving a bicycle...
    ok, so this comparison is flawed, but you get the point).

    Now, I've been peeking at PostgreSQL again. Looks like the manual
    has grown substantially, I seem to recall reading about a native
    win32 port (not that I would care these days), and perhaps the best
    of all, PostgreSQL is BSD licensed which means you can safely use it
    for whatever purpose, in any programming language or environment
    whatsoever. The same can't be said for MySQL as it is GPL'd.

    Actually, the license might turn out to be your biggest problem,
    especially if arter six months of development it turns that you
    either have to pay for MySQL or rewrite your application using
    another database. Note that I don't know the MySQL AB pricing
    scheme, and I'm sure it'd be a fraction of what you'd have to pay
    for Informix or Oracle at worst. :)