>     Actually, the license might turn out to be your biggest problem,
>     especially if arter six months of development it turns that you
>     either have to pay for MySQL or rewrite your application using
>     another database. Note that I don't know the MySQL AB pricing
>     scheme, and I'm sure it'd be a fraction of what you'd have to pay
>     for Informix or Oracle at worst. :)

Check the prices - about 2 orders of magnitude less than Oracle. Frankly,
if you are doing real commercial work, MySQL's license is so trivial
as to be unnoticable.

To answere the original question, I explain the difference between MySQL
and
PostgreSQL by analogy:

MySQL is an offroad vehicle - simple, powerful, indestructible.
PostgreSQL is a limousine - very highly featured, but not as fast and not
as rugged.

Which you need depends upon your application.

One thing I would say in favour of MySQL if you are doing commercial work
is that the support is excellent - both community support via this list and
the paid-for support from MySQL AB. I don't think PostgreSQL has a
support company at the moment; I couldn't comment on its community support.
But if I were starting a new project at the moment, that alone would swing
me
to MySQL.

      Alec