At 7:51 -0700 6/10/03, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 12:03:51PM +0200, rich johnson wrote:
 Has anyone else tried this? I got 8/10. Going to the exam next week;
 I suppose that's a good sign :-)

http://www.mysql.com/certification/selftest/core/index.php

I don't know if we all get the same questions, but I was disappointed in some of those I was asked. One was like:

"Is this syntax valid in MySQL?"

[some query]

What's the point of such a question?  Anyone with access to MySQL can
find out by simply running the query.

You don't have access to MySQL during the test. You have to know whether or not the syntax is correct.

It's trivia. So was the "which mysql command-line argument allows you to specify a username" question. And the "Who is MySQL AB?" question. Neither one requires any real thinking--simple memorization. You can look 'em up in the manual very, very quickly.

No, you can't. You have no manual when you take the test. You have to know the answer.

They did ask at least one "what does this query DO" question. I think those are much better for a certification exam.

Anyway, the two I got wrong were both the result of not having a MySQL
parser built in to my head.

Now that surprises me. (That you don't have a built-in parser. :-))

Jeremy -- Jeremy D. Zawodny | Perl, Web, MySQL, Linux Magazine, Yahoo! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.13: up 7 days, processed 221,412,201 queries (349/sec. avg)

--
Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Are you MySQL certified? http://www.mysql.com/certification/